Mike Anderson was nearly DQed for a creative approach to the finish line at the 2011 edition of Barry Roubaix (he wasn't alone). Luckily he was dealing with awesome race promoter Rick Plite, not some uptight USA Cycling official (who had only chosen that career path after getting kicked out of Parking Meter Reading College for being too misanthropic). He was relegated instead (you'll have to watch his interview to get the full story, because I don't have time to right now...I'm en route to Michigan from Boston as we speak). Mike is a HUGE threat this year, check in Saturday night (or Sunday AM) to see how it went down.
And check out last year's highlight vid, Mike gets plenty of air time.
11 Vaguely Barry Roubaix-Related Questions:
1. What do you know about this Barry Roubaix thing? What exactly are you doing up in balmy semi-northern Michigan on Saturday? Tell us about it.
Barry Roubaix is the first race of the season in Michigan, it's 62 miles of rolling hills and dirt roads. The race keeps getting bigger every year, I think this year was capped at 1500 bikes and it sold out.
2. What kind of bike are you riding — cross, road, 29er...and why?
I am riding a cross bike this year, because it will be faster than my full suspension mountain bike. The cross bike seems to have a little advantage when the speed gets high. I don’t think it really matters what bike you ride at this race though.
3. Are you gonna win? If not, why not? And who is?
I will try, as this race gets more popular it unfolds more like a road race which makes it a little harder for the strongest guy to win.
4. Define Ultra CX. Is it just like regular cross, only with more lasers?
I guess the Barry Roubaix is ultra CX. I think ultra CX should be a XC mountain bike race on cross bikes.
5. What is the appeal of gravel road or Ultra CX racing for you?
For as many gravel roads Michigan has there is not a lot of races on them. Its different than most races I’ll do during the year. Its kind of a cross between a road and mountain bike race.
6. How does your bike set up differ from the usual for a gravel road or Ultra CX race, if at all?
I will ride my Trek cronus CX, it’s a pretty standard cross bike.
7. What super-famous pro cyclist (besides yourself of course), from any discipline, would you like to see come do an Ultra CX race? (Even if it’s only so you can see them suck big time.)
Any of the top European classics racers. Those guys can go fast for a long time.
8. If Barry Roubaix were one, big UFC cage fight, who would win?
I would pick Mike Simonson, He is pretty much up for any challenge on or off a bike.
9. What is your plan of ATTACK?
Go fast and take chances. If your not first you're last. I’m not really sure what my plan is, this race keeps unfolding a little different every year.
10. (No Googling on this one) Why is the race called Barry Roubaix? (Even if you know the answer, feel free to make something up involving Barry Manilow, Barry White, Barry Goldwater or all three.)
Something to do with Barry County.
11. If you had a gun, with two bullets, and you were in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Garth Prosser, what would you do? (Hint: if you answered anything besides “Shoot Garth Prosser twice” you are WRONG.)
Someone told me I should shoot Garth.